[cvsnt] cvs is hanging -> Change Request

Olaf Groeger Olaf.Groeger at gmx.de
Tue Aug 5 07:26:41 BST 2003

Hi,

i had the situation, that i performed a recursive chacl on a directory
(Using WinCVS tcl console). Unfortunatly, one of the developers had changed
the directory structure inside the repository (Argh !!!), so my sandbox was
not in sycronisity  with the repository. This let the cvs hang (not the
server, only the chacl process), without message why. As soon as i canceled
the process, the client printed a message, that a particular .perms file
couldn't be opened.

Another developer reported that he has in rarely cases cvs hanging forever
without any error message.

That's why i propose two change requests:
- I'm not sure, that the point that the error reason is printed not until
the process has been canceled is a cvsnt point and not a WinCVS point, but
it would be nice to have a feedback, that a problem occured, rather than
leave you out in the rain forever.
- If an critical error occurs, cvs should either continue working or
aborting, but not "enter a zombie mode".

I hope not one takes offence (i'm not a natural speaker), and yes, i'm up to
help, if this is desired.

Best regards
Olaf Groeger