[cvsnt] $log & $header in M/S files

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Aug 7 16:15:31 BST 2003

> Thinking off the top of my head (well, there are worse places to
> think...) I wonder whether it would be possible to catch the
> commit on the CVS server and do something fun like scripting
> an open of the document, adding the log to the document
> fields, and closing the document again?  This would, of
> course, require Office on the CVS server.
>
> I haven't the foggiest clue *how* to do this in CVS, I'm
> afraid; I am merely assuming there's a script hook on commit
> that can be passed (a) the file to commit and (b) the
> appropriate headers.

Absolutely possible, yes the file names and version information is
passed in the postcommit and yes it would require Office on the CVS
Server.  It would likely be slow but could be done with a VBA script or
short program in an OLE-friendly language.

IMHO it would likely cause more problems than it's worth though.  The
save as HTML idea was better I think--but that would store pictures /
object as separate files, I think (never tried it myself).

Regards,

Glen Starrett