[cvsnt] Changing CVS Revision from 1.x to 2.X

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri Aug 8 20:19:55 BST 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Don't muck around with revision numbers...  it'll just cause grief (especially
> in the future when it'll be impossible!).

Excuse me?  Are you saying you are going to make Revision numbers completely
useless, instead of mostly useless, by taking away the ability to increment them
manually?  Everyone will have large and useless revisions like 1.231 and not be
able to bump them up to 2.0?  What possible reason could you have for breaking
this behavior?

John

p.s. yes, I know that conventional wisdom was to not use Revision numbers as
version numbers, but plenty of people do it.  I've never seen a justification
for that limitation.  I use 'commit -r' and the '$Revision: $' construct all the
time, and I can still walk upright...