[cvsnt] Best way to promote a branch tip to become HEAD??

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 17:01:36 BST 2003

> cvs update -j HEAD -j BRANCH_POINT        #    reverse all changes since
branching
> cvs update -j BRANCH_POINT -j BRANCH    #    redo all changes auf BRANCH

This looks like a very neat idea indeed but unfortunately I don't see how
this could be automated by ways of a script or macro in a general way as you
HAVE to tag the branch point and not only that, you have to KNOW its name.
Then again, you strictly don't HAVE to automate two lines... ;)

What would be a really cool new CVSNT feature is a syntax to directly
address a branchpoint without branchpoint tags, e.g by prefixing a / (or
whatever) to the branch tag name.

Nevertheless, I have now written a new version of the CopyToHead WinCvs
macro (well, it's something entirely new really), which will take care of
the whole show (including cvs adding and removing of files added or removed
on a branch) and which could not only copy to HEAD but to any other branch
(or tag really) as well. I just finished it a few minutes ago, so I haven't
done any really mean testing yet, just the routine stuff. So far it seems to
work quite nicely. I have only tested with WinCvs 1.3.13-2 and Python 2.3 as
well as with Python 2.2.3 .

For the brave of heart it is available via
http://people.freenet.de/ogiesen/CopyToBranch.zip

The archive contains two files, the macro itself and a utility module which
should go into the PythonLib/cvsgui folder. If you use WinZip or any other
capable zip-app, unzipping into the WinCvs main dir should place the files
where they belong.

If I get a little feedback (yes, this could be direct mail in this case),
this is very likely to get into the next WinCvs release.

Cheers,

Oliver
------
In everybody's best interest, please do not post or CC technical questions
me in private unless they are specifically about a macro/product of mine
that is NOT already bundled with WinCvs.
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ:  18777742
     (http://wwp.icq.com/18777742)