[cvsnt] Windows 2000 File Permissions and remote access protocols

Jim B. none at none.com
Tue Aug 12 18:13:09 BST 2003

Dear CVS Experts,

I'm having difficulty with remote access to my CVSNT (2.1.1) repository
under Windows 2000 Server.  I installed CVSNT as Administrator. The CVS
Service and Locking Service are running.  "Server side support for ntserver
protocol", "Impersonation", and "Use local users for pserver authentication
instead of domain users" are enabled. I've set up access for user
"anonymous" in the passwd file and in the writers file in \CVSROOT for
repository d:\cvsrepo\test2.

When I try to access the repository from the local machine using either the
ntserver, pserver or sspi protocols, a file permission error is generated.
(I imported a project into the repository using the :local protocol without
difficulty.)  The command and error message (for psever) are as follows:

D:\cvsrepo\test2\CVSROOT>cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at theta:d:\cvsrepo\test2
login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at theta:2401:d:/cvsrepo/test2
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from theta: cvs server: E
cannot open d:/cvsrepo/test2/CVSROOT/config: Permission denied

The same error message occurs when trying to access the repository from a
remote machine using the pserver protocol.  (When I use ntserver or sspi,
the error indicates "Authentication failed.")

I've removed the repository prefix setting in the CVSNT control panel.
I also tried setting SysAuth=no in the \CVSROOT\config file.
The Administrator user has full access to the CVSROOT\config file, the
cvstemp directory, etc.

I tried to follow the instructions in the CVSNT Installation Tips, but have
evidently made an egregious error.

(I haven't found any obvious equivalent to the unix/linux
inet.d --allow-root=<directory> CVS option for the Windows version. Is there
something similar that needs to be set on Windows 2000?)

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide. (I've used CVS under
Linux without any trouble, but I'm not as familiar as I should be with
Windows Administration.)

Yours truly,
Jim Bonang