[cvsnt] cvs tag barfs at certain folder names....

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Aug 13 08:44:10 BST 2003

I don't know if this is an issue with the later CVSNT releases or not,
but I suspect so...

Anyway, yesterday I updated our server to 2.0.8 and today I tried to
tag a module that contains numerous subfolders and what I get back is
this:
'S' is not recognized as an internal or external command
operable program or batch file.

After a certain tedious search I found that this happens when the tagging
process reaches a folder named "B&S" in the repository. I suspect that the
server somehow fails on the ampersand character in the name.

I looked in the subfolder and found 2 sub-subfolders there with files in
them and when I graph them I can see tags on the files. So this indicates
that sometime earlier before i updated the CVSNT server level the tagging
actually did work, but now it is broken.

A further test was made:
- I added a new sub-subfolder below B&S
- I added some files in this folder
- I committed when focusing the new subfolder in WinCvs
This worked out OK, so commit does not barf on the B&S parent folder name

Then I tried tagging, still located in WinCvs with focus on the new folder.
This also worked fine.

But if I select the B&S folder or anyone above that for the tag operation
then the error appears!

Final note:
It does not matter which client version I use, b72 or 2.0.2 or 2.0.8 all
result in the same error.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund