[cvsnt] Windows 2000 File Permissions and remote access protocols

Jim B. none at none.com
Thu Aug 14 00:11:54 BST 2003

Hi Glen,

You're right. The file system permissions granted to the SYSTEM user were
insufficient.  I changed these for both SYSTEM and "cvsuser." pserver is now
working fine.

I next tried the ntserver method and ran into a bit of trouble; I didn't
realize that the writers file (not just file system permissions) affected
user access. After adding cvsuser and Administrator to the writers file, I
was able to execute:

cvs - d :ntserver:theta:d:\cvsrepo\test2 passwd -a cvsuser

without incident.

(Before editing the writers file, I got an error message indicating that the
specified user did not have write permission on the repository.)

I also commented out the SystemAuth=yes line in the config file. (This seems
to affect ntserver as well, though I'm not quite sure in what manner.)

I read your SetACLS article; this was tremendously helpful (Section 1.4.2 is
where I learned the dependency of the ntserver method on the writers file -
thanks!).

I've also downloaded your SetACLS.cmd script.

Thanks once again for your kind assistance (and your article!).

Yours truly,
Jim Bonang

news:mailman.29.1060728630.590.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...