[cvsnt] cvs / subversion discussion

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Aug 15 16:19:48 BST 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:12:46 -0400, "Scott Ford" <sford at RJKTECH.com> wrote:

>It will probably be pretty easy for us in the user community to develop
>configuration scripts for different database flavors.
>
>My database experience is a little rusty but wouldn't only one SQL
>script be needed set up the tables in the database, regardless of the
>flavor. Or will cvsnt handle all of that?

All SQL implementations are subtly different (they get wildly different once
you start using stored procedures).

eg. for MySql:

CREATE TABLE `nodes` (
  `Id` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `Type` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`Id`)
) TYPE=InnoDB;

For MSSQL:

Create Table Nodes )
  Id Integer Identity primary_key Not Null
  Type Integer Not Null Default 0
)

.. etc.

At the API level they're different, too (although things like ADO mitigate
this somewhat).  The differences aren't insurmountable - probably only a day
or two to convert to a new DB, but they do mean you can't just write generic
code and expect it to work.