[cvsnt] Re: $Id$ Conflict (was $Log$ conflict)

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Aug 17 23:11:58 BST 2003

> It can't, really... $Log$ is special, in that it doesn't just
> expand to a token, it start appending to a list - which means
> the file is actually changing as it is committed...  We avoid
> conflicts in things like $Id$
> (mostly) but unfortunately it's not possible with $Log$.

OK, so that explains $Log$.  As for $Id$ though--I've seen conflicts
when I import CVS from elsewhere with $Id$ (e.g. someone else's source,
from another CVS repository) then update it, then import an update to
the vendor branch, I get conflicts--I suppose that's what you mean by
"almost"?  Would merging with $Id$ always cause this, or is it only when
I'm importing from another repository that it's a problem?

Regards,

Glen Starrett