[cvsnt] The command line is too long.

Aaron Kynaston akynaston at novell.com
Mon Aug 18 20:43:48 BST 2003

Ah . .I thought the ... was a snip.

Wow .  .that's interesting . .the only time I would expect something
like that, is if you're using Tortoise . .I think it does try to put
everything on the command line. . .

Alexandre just asked what versions you're using . .I'd like to hear
that too.

Aaron Kynaston
akynaston at novell.com
office: (801) 861-6709
cell: (801) 368-8633
fax: (801) 861-6778
Novell Inc., The leading provider in net services software.
www.novell.com

>>> "Lawson.Reed" <Reed.Lawson at IGT.com> 8/18/2003 1:25:14 PM >>>

The strange thing is, the command line is NOT too long. Its
only about 100 characters. I have used CVS with Much Much
longer command lines with no trouble. It seems to be expanded inside
cvs because of the 1300 or so files it finds in that directory.
I am wondering why cvs can not make its own buffer bigger with
"malloc()".

> What is the full command you're using?

I included that in its entirety in the original post.
between the ----8<---- 's lines. Its what is printed in
the WinCVS shell window. It is nothing unusual. Its what
commit does when you do not supply file names: It assumes
you want to commit everything that is commitable. In my
case, that turns out to be about 1300 files. But if it
needs to make a list of all files internally, and it neglected
to alloc enough space, then that's a bug in CVS not any limit
in the shell, Right?

 Thanks,
 __________________________________
 Reed Lawson
 IGT Firmware Engineering
 (775) 448-0755

> Aaron Kynaston
> akynaston at novell.com
> office: (801) 861-6709
> cell: (801) 368-8633
> fax: (801) 861-6778
> Novell Inc., The leading provider in net services software.
> www.novell.com

> Hi,
>
> We recently went live on our new CVSNT server after about 3 months
of
> preparation.
> Its the first working day after that. So far so good.
>
> But one thing that just came up was someone was putting in a major
> development branch in our library (about 1300 files) and he added
the
> branch tag just fine, then tried to commit.
> -------
> cvs commit -m "Commit for lib12xxx_branch.  This branch will live on
> top of
> MD3 for NYL develop..." (in directory
E:\WORK\lib12xxx\library\main\)