[cvsnt] Subversion vs. CVSNT

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Aug 21 20:49:13 BST 2003

> Here's my current viewpoint:
>
> We recently (a few months) transitioned to CVS from VSS because we
> didn't want to buy the licenses we needed.  I pushed this transition,
> mostly because of CVS's huge user base, and as a result
> became the cvsnt
> admin.  I knew of its limitations in versioning directories
> (renaming,
> moving, deleting, etc...), but I vastly underestimated the amount of
> pain I would suffer as a result.  Now my users (which, by the way I
[snip]

I can understand why I would be kicking myself too if I thought I hadn't
done my homework--but I think you're going a little overboard here.  I
don't know specifically the processes in your shop but remember that
you're having difficulty with but it shouldn't be that bad.  Also,
Subversion is still in development.  CVSNT has a number of features in
stable release that subversion does NOT have.  That said, Subversion
looks appealing from some of the features they DO have.  They are making
some great progress from the looks of it, and I look forward to checking
it out once it is released.

If you're curious, download it now!  I've read there are CVS ->
Subversion scripts, Tortoise has a Subversion version (har har) already.
I don't know about WinCVS, but I'd bet that team is all over it also.
Once you've evaluated it, let us know how it goes!

Also, keep in mind that Tony is experimenting with SQL backend on CVSNT,
which would open the door to the directory versioning support, eliminate
a lot of the bottlenecks of the RCS files, etc. etc.  He's out on
holiday right now, but this was all discussed a couple times
previously--check the list archives for more details.

Regards,

Glen Starrett