[cvsnt] OK, now what?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Aug 29 06:34:38 BST 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:54:11 -0700, "Victor A. Wagner, Jr."
<vawjr at rudbek.com> wrote:

>so, now that I've been using C:/CVSROOT for all my things, I find that I
>must now make my repository sharable externally.
>What's the best way to do this?   delete the entire tree and change my
>environment variable then re-checkout?

You are losing me...
What are you talking about really?

>Another problem.  When we moved (now _I_ have the repository), I have all
>the source that _used_ to be checked into a remote repository and need to
>put it into MY repository (yes, I know we lose the history)?

Are you sure about the nomenclature here?
The CVS system uses a *repository* on the *server* to hold all of the
RCS files which contain the file revisions (every file has several
revisions and all of these are collected into the corresponding RCS
file). These files are managed by the server and are not touched by
the users.
Then the user checks out a working copy of the files to a *local*
folder on his own disk and works with the files there. This is called
the *sandbox*. Files in the sandbox are just a local copy and can be
safely erased (once any changes have been committed).
You don't lose any history by maniputalting tese files.

>Can I import it?

Again, what are you talking about?

>What about all the CVS directories that are already in the source tree?
>do I just delete it and check it out again?

You will see CVS subdirectories in the *sandbox*, but you don't need
to worry about them. In fact if you don't switch on view hidden files
in Windows Explorer you don't see them at all (with a recent version
of cvs) because they are hidden. These dirs contain data about the
state of your sandbox and are of use only for your local copy.

>What about the people who used to access the other repository... the IP
>address has changed, do THEY just re-checkout after I make a new repository
>here?

I am still wondering what you are doing. Is this the situation:
1. You had a CVSNT *server* running on *your* own PC
2. You and your collegues used that *server* as a server
3. All of you had local sandboxes checked out from this server
4. Now you want to have a proper server on a separate PC
5. So you have installed CVSNT on another computer
6. But you don't know what to do about the repository

Then it is simple:
1. Create a folder C:\CVSREPO on the new PC
2. Copy all of the files and folders from your old *repository* to
this new folder
3. Use the CVSNT control panel application to define this as the repo
for the new CVSNT server
4. On the clients just erase the old sandboxes and check out again
from the new server.

This preserves everything, history and all.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)