[cvsnt] cvs for non-programmers

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 11:01:52 GMT 2003

Aaron Kynaston wrote:

> I enjoy TortoiseCVS very much - especially the 'Add contents feature'

...even though this isn't really necessary anmore if your server is
CVSNT. You could just use Import -Cdn instead. If the server's not
CVSNT there's a macro in WinCvs that does it too (with full control
over k-modes). It will even optionally commit the added files with a
custom comment and custom commit options in the same step:
Macros|CVS|Recursive Add (auto-commit)...

> .  . the only things that can't seem to be done with it, are things
> that can't be done from the command line either (at least I don't
> know how) such as retrieve deleted items from the attic (for this I
> think you have to go look in the repo for that file and find an
> iteration that's not state:dead) . . .

You don't have to look into the repo for that (given that you do know
the name of the file you want to resurrect). It's possible from the
commandline as well (http://cvsgui.sf.net/newfaq.htm#resurrection
contains some details about this).

BTW: You can also do that with WinCvs. I wrote a macro for it that does
it. ;)

You give it a file name, it performs a log, scans for the last alive
revision and reverts to it. Simple as that. It can even handle branches.

The macro is available via Macros|CVS|Resurrect File...

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org