[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt Digest, Vol 12, Issue 8

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Dec 5 17:22:07 GMT 2003

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:53:33 -0600, psequeira at racsa.co.cr wrote:

>Glen,
>
>It seems that the InstallationTips
>(http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips) page is the first and only
>documentation many people reads when thye're just beggining with CVSNT
>(myself included).
>
>Section 4 (Directory security and permissions) states that SYSTEM should
>be granted full control permissions on c:\cvstemp, but it says nothing
>about c:\cvsrepo.
>
>Perhaps it would be appropiate to make explicit the fact that SYSTEM
>should also have full control on c:\cvsrepo; this would avoid many
>people get stuck with their first attempt to do a checkout.
>
>Would it be ok if I make this addition to the page?

SYSTEM only needs read access to the root, CVSROOT directories and
some files within it (config,passwd, possibly a couple of others).

It never needs write access to the repository unless you decide to
switch off impersonation, in which case it needs read/write to the
entire repository.  Switching off impersonation is not recommended
anyway.

A link to the SetAcl page would probable be better.

IMO giving full control to temp is overkill, but probably harmless
unless you get a security breach from some other source.