[cvsnt] Newbie question: CVSNT, Windows XP and SSPI...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Dec 12 06:30:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:30:53 +0000, Richard Aspden
<rick at guysintheknow.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I do apologise in advance if this has been asked before, but I couldn't
>find it in the mail archives.
>
>I've installed CVSNT on a Windows XP box at work. It's all working
>swimmingly, aside from one small problem. Authentication, or lack thereof.
>
>We're using TortoiseCVS on the client-side, apparantly using SSPI, and
>the server is set to require encryption. Appropriate users and passwords
>have been set up on the XP box. But it doesn't seem to actually require
>any passwords to be sent, or indeed a valid user for that matter, and
>will quite happily let me check out any file as anybody.
>
>I'm probably being thick, and can't find it in the FAQs etc, but... what
>am I missing?
>
>Apologies and thanks in advance.
>
>Rick.

What do you mean "anybody"??
With SSPI the system uses the login you did on the workstation itself
when it was started. So the NT user you logged in as will be the user
CVS is authenticating with the server.
And unless you lock down the CVS server any valid account on the CVS
server PC will be allowed to check out stuff.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)