[cvsnt] SSPI permissions issues

David Joy davidj at boundlessgallery.com
Fri Dec 12 19:36:51 GMT 2003

Hello,

We're trying to setup CVSNT with TortoiseCVS and the SSPI protocol, currently just on a Windows XP machine.  All the computers are sitting behind a Linksys firewall and router, and are in the same workgroup.  The server and a client can communicate fine, provided they're on the same computer, so we know the system is up and running.  However, we're haven't been able to successfully access the repository from a client on another XP machine.  The router isn't interfering (and shouldn't), but when we try to login to the repository, the only username we can seem to use is the "Guest" account on the machine running the server.  In an effort to restrict access, we disabled SystemAuth in the CVSROOT/config file, so that logins would have to be authentiated against a CVSROOT/passwd file.

Regardless of the Windows XP username we're logged in as on the client computer, the CVS server always refers to the client as "Guest" when we try to connect.  This, I think, is because of the "Guest" account that Windows maintains.

So if we put "Guest" in the passwd file, then we're told that:

cvs [server aborted]: can't create temporary directory C:\cvstemp/cvs-serv1012: Permission Denied

... or something along those lines.  Thus it seems even if we login with guest, we can't do anything since we don't have the proper permissions.  According to some messages I found on here on the mailing list, SSPI (as well as gserver/Kerberos) uses "domain (realm) credentials to authenticate users."  This sounds like we need a Windows Domain for the system to work, is this the case?

Any idea how we can get this thing working?  Or alternately, suggestions for a different setup or protocol?

Thanks for your time,

David Joy