[cvsnt] Strange error when rebuilding administrative database, with occasional hangup

Mathieu Veurman MVeurman at seagull.nl
Mon Dec 15 10:23:19 GMT 2003

Hi all,

We have a problem when CVS is rebuilding it's administrative database. It looks like that when some users commit some files that are located within the CVSROOT dir, the rebuilding of the administrative database goes wrong.

The version we use is 2.0.12. If haven't seen any change in the changelog of 2.0.14 that might be related to what we experience.

Usually the error is the same, but sometimes things go horribly wrong. The 'normal' error we get is:

  cvs server: Rebuilding administrative file database
  cvs server: cannot read file in mydbm_load_file: Not enough space

but occasionally the server side cvs.exe hangs. When we kill that process, the client side continues. We also have observed that part of the rcsinfo file (located in CVSROOT) is dumped after the rebuilding message.

Needless to say: we don't run any AV software on that machine. Total Memory: 768 MB, usually 400 MB free, free disk space 326 GB.

We tried to reproduce this situation with the same version of cvsnt on a different machine (laptop, 512 MB, with AV running) but that one wouldn't give the error at all.

Attached are 2 results of running cvs.exe with the trace option enabled. The first trace is showing the 'cannot read file in mydbm_load_file: Not enough space'.
The second trace displays the hangup situation. We unfortunately have no trace of the dumping of the rcsinfo file.

The commit actions are eventually done from a web server, but might hang it up when cvs.ex hangs.
Any pointer to a workaround or solution is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

M.Veurman
 <<traces.zip>>
Mathieu Veurman
Development Team Leader, Palo Alto
<mailto: mveurman at seagull.nl>

Seagull Software
Korte Parallelweg 1, 3311 JN  Dordrecht, The Netherlands
Tel.   +31 78 6322800, Fax  +31 78 6138134

http://www.seagullsoftware.com/