[cvsnt] Converted to CVSNT server and repositories structure changed...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Dec 15 21:19:21 GMT 2003

You have to read up on the terminology for CVS!
What you refer to as repositories are actually modules.
In the source you have a *single* repository named "cvsrepo" and this
repository has correctly a CVSROOT subdirectory where the
adminitsrative files are maintained.
All of the other folders are simply modules and need not be added as
repositories to CVSNT, in fact you cannot do this if they are a
subpart of a tree that is already a repository (cvsrepo).

You have to do two things now:
1) Remove the repository registration from CVSNT for all of these
"repositories" except the cvsrepo one. Done in the Control panel
applet.

2) After this you have to physically delete the extra CVSROOT folders
you have inside the cvsrepo tree, except the top one of course.

3) When accessing the modules you use the same root string for all but
specify different module folders.

/Bo

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:52:34 -0700, "Curtis Lehman"
<clehman at aircell.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Thanks to all for the helping me getting CVSNT up and running at where I work. I went from using CVS in local mode to running a CVSNT server. I copied the local repositories into the new CVSNT repository. When I added the repositories on the server side, it did not recognize the directories as repositories and wanted to initialize them, which I allowed it to do. The initialization created a CVSROOT directory in each one of the repositories I added/ported over. This directory is a duplicate of the main CVSROOT and is confusing to everyone. It doesn't look like it has any purpose. Changes to it have no effect on how CVSNT works. My questions:
>
>1. How can I get ride of the repository, or at least hide it from the users?
>2. Can I simply delete the extra CVSROOT directory from each repository?
>2.Why do I need a CVSROOT in each repository?
>
>When using CVS in local mode my repository had the structure of (Note only one CVSROOT):
>
>cvsrepo\
> |
>-- CVSROOT
>|
>-- repo/module1\
>|      |
>|      ----sub directories\
>|
>-- repo/module2\
>|      |
>|      ----sub directories\
>|
>-- etc.
>
>Using CVSNT in a client server type mode, repository had the structure of (Note the CVSROOT in each module):
>
>cvsrepo\
>      --EngDev\
>      -- CVSROOT
>      -- repo/module1\