[cvsnt] Is there a guide to documentation and patch submissions?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Dec 16 22:32:11 GMT 2003

Czarnowski, Aric wrote:

> The answer to this post was "use the --brief option" which is great but
> where is this documented?  cvs -H diff doesn't mention --brief as of
> version 2.0.12.

It's never been documented AFAIK.  It falls under the [rcsdiff-options]
section of the help... even Unix CVS (which is quite strict on
documentation) doesn't mention it.  The presumption is that you can look at
the help for rcsdiff.. not sure if that's valid nowadays but it's the way
it was done.

> Is the CVSNT wiki the first place to update and can/should we users just
> do that?  I'd assume Tony would want some control over documentation
> patches just like code patches (if they're ever submitted) and code
> patches would be needed to update -H usage output anyway...

Just make any updates you want, and mention them here for others to look at
them.  I have enough control in that I can revert any changes that are
wrong, but haven't had much need to do that.

> Documentation is probably one of the few places I could hope to
> contribute to this great app but I would like to see a guide to
> documentation or code patch submissions someplace before trying to help
> in a constructive way.  How would you like us to help Tony?

The wiki is pretty freeform.  There's lots of tidying up to do - the
html2wiki script that I used to create the cvs manual mucked up the
formatting somewhat and I've only corrected a few chapters so far.

Other than that do what you like - I've locked the front page for wiki
admins only but the rest of the site is fair game.