[cvsnt] hangs on login

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Dec 26 21:03:40 GMT 2003

Darin McGill wrote:
> I'm trying to use cvsnt as a cvs client on a winXP system, and have gotten
> stuck.  I know that cvsnt conceived as a cvs-server; if it's a bad choice
>  of client, don't read the rest of this message: just reply with a
> suggested command line cvs client for windows (I've had problems with
> winCVS and prefer the command line anyway).

WinCVS uses cvsnt, so they're basically the same except WinCVS is
prettier :)

Also try TortoiseCVS which is quite easy to use.

> My problem is illustrated as:
>
> C:\tmp>set
> CVSROOT=:pserver:darin at 172.16.20.119:/home/cvs/genecodes/seqcolreplacement
> C:\tmp>cvs login
> Logging in to
> :pserver:darin at 172.16.20.119:2401:/home/cvs/genecodes/seqcolreplacement
> CVS password:
>
> After entering my password, I don't get a command prompt back;
> the behavior I observer is similar to what "cat > /dev/null" does

The connection to the server isn't happening... either the server isn't
listening or there's a routing problem.  If you're using the XP firewall
you need to configure it to let port 2401 out.

Try a telnet to port 2401 on the remote server to see if you get a
connection.