[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates - Delta compression -kz

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Dec 29 23:06:01 GMT 2003

Björn Carlsson wrote:

> One more question, what is the difference, with this new binary diff
> thing, I can't notice the difference? I thought it should only store the

Some file sizes from my test data (3 generations of different debug
builds of cvs.exe):

Original file: 1,249,280 (*3 = 3,747,840)
RCS file -kb:  2,784,711 (25% compression)
RCS file -kB:  1,988,855 (47% compression)
RCS file -kBz:   703,696 (82% compression)

If you take into account in the uncompressed versions there's a full
copy of the file in the head revision, the compression per delta is:

-kb: 39% compression
-kB: 71% compression

That's quite reasonable IMO - to go higher would probably introduce too
much of a performance penalty, although there's room for tweaking.