[cvsnt] how to update remote copies from remote respository

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Feb 4 13:32:00 GMT 2003

You have totally misunderstood the CVS concept...
I recommend reading this book first (on-line version):
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

Then please take note the following distinctions:
1. CVS server
Here is where the full history of all files in all modules are kept. The server keeps this
in the "repository" in special files ending with ,v.
These folders should not be directly accessed by anyone using other tools than CVS.

2. CVS client
There can be many cvs clients to a single cvs server. Every client has his own personal
copy of the source files, which he gets using the cvs checkout command.
These files are normal files and are used by the development system.
Note that at the same time there can be many developers working on the same source files,
they all do this in their own private copy on their own PC.

3. CVS update
Whenever a developer thinks that there might be some new changes to the files that other
developers may have done he should do a cvs update command. This will get all changes
from the server and merge them into the local copy files. Now these files contain the latest
server revision plus the changes the developer himself has done.

4. CVS commit
When a developer is done with the edits on his file and wants to send it back he has to do two things:
a) cvs update so that his files all contain the latest changes from the server (plus his own changes)
b) cvs commit so that the server will get his latest changes. This will increment the revision counter
on the server

5. Automatic updates
What you are asking is why the developer #2 does not see the changes when the developer #1 does
his commit. Well, this is not the way CVS works and in fact is also impossible, just think how it could
be done if the developer #2 has switched off his PC or is travelling with it. Impossible for any automated
action here.
No, CVS works on the commands issued by the developers, so if a developer wants the latest
changes then he must himself do a cvs update. There is no other way.

/Bo