[cvsnt] Moving from existing installation to a new installation

KKolle at gkservices.com KKolle at gkservices.com
Tue Feb 4 15:45:12 GMT 2003

OK, now I'm getting frustrated! (page down to see previous dialogue and specs)

I wiped out the installation I did and started fresh on the new server.
One interesting thing to note: after I uninstalled and reinstalled cvsnt, the
control applet recognized my previous repositories, even though I had deleted
them from my d:\cvsrepo.
So, I created a testing repository, following everything I did on my previous
successful installation.
In wincvs1.3, I get this error message when trying to import:
     cvs [import aborted]: unrecognized auth response from nts0986: cvs [server
aborted]: Authentication failed
In wincvs1.2, I get this error message when trying to import:
     cvs [add aborted]: CVSROOT kkolle at nts0986:/testing must be an absolute
pathname

Also, after I set the cvsroot in the command line with: set cvsroot
=:sspi:nts0986:/testing [enter], then I enter cvs passwd -a kkolle, I get the
following error:
cvs [passwd aborted]: no such user kkolle in CVSROOT/passwd
At this point, I don't even have a passwd file in the file system!

But, I did get this command to work once (cvs passwd -a kkolle), but I haven't
been able to get it to work since (not sure on the sequence of events of how I
got it to work)

**********************************
Here is my config file:

# Set this to "no" if pserver shouldn't check system users/passwords
SystemAuth=no

# Put CVS lock files in this directory rather than directly in the repository.
#LockDir=/var/lock/cvs

# Use a CVS Lock server (overrides LockDir setting).
LockServer=nts0986:2402

# Set `TopLevelAdmin' to `yes' to create a CVS directory at the top
# level of the new working directory when using the `cvs checkout'
# command.
#TopLevelAdmin=no

# Set `LogHistory' to `all' or `TOFEWGCMAR' to log all transactions to the
# history file, or a subset as needed (ie `TMAR' logs all write operations)
#LogHistory=TOFEWGCMAR

Here is my passwd file:

kkolle:

Here is my admin file:

cvsadmin

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks

                    KKolle at gkservi
                    ces.com              To:     paul_newsgroups at yahoo.ca
                    Sent by:             cc:     cvsnt at cvsnt.org
                    cvsnt-admin at cv       Subject:     Re: [cvsnt] Moving from existing installation to a new
                    snt.org               installation

                    01/16/2003
                    07:36 AM

No, SSPI doesn't use cvs login, it uses the OS authentication. The passwd file
is used to validate that a user can have access to the repository, but it
doesn't actually store a password, just a username. To clarify, I don't log into
cvs after I open up wincvs. In my 'working' version of cvsnt, I had
SystemAuth=no NOT commented out (no '#'), because this says don't check for any
authorization (i.e. using cvs login)...... I believe I said this right.

I think I'll have to go through all of the steps to initially install cvsnt
again. And then, I'll copy over all my xxx,v files so hopefully I can still keep
my revision history.

Thanks!

                    Paul Russell

                    <paul_newsgroups       To:     KKolle at gkservices.com

                    @yahoo.ca>             cc:

                                           Subject:     Re: [cvsnt] Moving from
existing installation to a new
                    01/15/2003 09:17        installation

                    PM

I didn't think SSPI used cvs login. I don't have a passwd file and I don't log
in when using sspi. Both of those are handled by the operating system. I'd try
deleting the passwd file, and NOT logging in (close the DOS window to clear
this?). Check your CVSROOT/config file setting for SystemAuth, I left it
commented out: [#SystemAuth=no]

Of course this may all depend upon your client cvs.ese and the client's OS. If
Windows, ensure you get fresh cvs.exe and/or cvs95.exe from the cvsnt download
file (Iuse build 57J).

I don't use WinCVS, but [TortoiseCVS and PeggyPro on the client, with ViewCVS on
the Server].

-Paul

 KKolle at gkservices.com wrote:

 When I make a change to a file and then try and commit that change to the
 repository, I get the following message in wincvs:
 Fatal error, aborting.
 cvs [commit aborted]: kkolle: no such user

 If I try and do a checkout, I get the following in wincvs:
 cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from nts0986: cvs [server
 aborted]: Authentication failed

 Here are the tasks I have done so far:
 I added my repositories in the service control panel. (I did this the same way
 on my previous install, which was working fine)
 I ran this command in dos, set cvsroot=:sspi::/
 I ran this command in dos, cvs passwd -a kkolle, and hit enter twice. So, now I
 have one line in my passwd file of 'kkolle:'. This is the same thing that I
 already had when I copied all of my files over to the new box.

 The .owner file has kkolle in it.
 I have sspi selected in Admin/Preferences in wincvs.....and I have the correct
 servername and repository name entered.

 Any ideas of where I went wrong....what step(s) I might have missed?

 Paul Russell
 @yahoo.ca> cc:
 Subject: Re: [cvsnt] Moving from existing installation to a new
 01/14/2003 07:19 installation
 PM

 Worked for me, except had fun editting some of the paths in CVSROOT files.

 If all your paths are the same, then you can probably just copy it without
 editting any CVSROOT files.

 I had to fake out the CVSNT first by manually editting the non-repository file
 (no ,v) in the repository to fix the paths (i.e. [repo/CVSROOT/config], not
 [repo/CVSROOT/config,v]. That got CVSNT up and running. Then had to check out
 CVSROOT, apply the same changes, and check it in again, so that the changes
 would be preserved properly.

 -Paul

 KKolle at gkservices.com wrote:
 First, here are my specs:
 Version: 1.11.1.3 Build 57j
 OS: Win2000
 Client: WinCVS 1.3.10.1 Beta 10 (Build 1)

 We are retiring our existing win2000 box and we have a new replacement win2000
 box. I have existing repositories that I need ported over to the new box. Is
 there an easy way to do this? Our existing cvs setup works just fine. We are
 using sspi.

 I ran the .exe (from www.cvsnt.org) and installed the program on the new box.

 But, my question is: Can I just copy over all my files for each module under my
 d:\cvsrepo to the same directory structure on the new server? Is cvsnt smart
 enough to recognize all the files just copied over (after stopping and
 restarting cvsnt)? What is the recommended way of moving repositories to
 different machines?
 [The new server has the same exact name as the old server did]

 Thanks in advance!

 Kevin Kolle
 G&K Services, Inc.
 kkolle at gkservices.com