[cvsnt] Can't add some directories to source control

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 5 09:13:32 GMT 2003

Import does not place anything in your PC "under source control" as you think....
What it does is it takes all the imported files and sends them to the server where
they are placed in a repository module and are under source control.

However, the import does just that nothing more.

If you want to maintain your files in CVS then you *must* now check out the files
from CVS into a so called sandbox where you can do your edits and then commit back
to CVS.

I have done the following myself:
1) Created a website virtual directory on IIS (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\somedir)
2) Created the website contents here
3) Checked that the initial version actually worked
4) Imported the site to CVS using the import command
5) Stopped the IIS service
6) Deleted the somedir folder (or moved it away to some other place)
7) Executed a cvs checkout command from C:\Inetpub\wwwroot specifying the somedir module
8) Restarted IIS

Now my site is again there, but in this case under version control and I can edit the
files in place and make sure the site contents displays correctly before I commit the
changes I am doing.

Note: My IIS site is a development site so it does not matter that the CVS subfolders
with contents get created. The real site is getting its updates using FTP from the
development site and then I have to manually select the files to publish.
There is probably some way to manage this automatically as well....

/Bo