[cvsnt] Admin unedit

Ian Epperson Ian at axiomdesign.com
Wed Feb 5 20:27:31 GMT 2003

Is there a way to (cleanly) administratively unedit a file?

I periodically have users who blow out their sandboxes and lose the ability
to un-edit a file that they've forgotten about.  I loathe having watch
enabled, but that's current policy - so I have to live with it.  Currently,
I go into the repository and hand edit the fileattr, but it gets ugly and I
don't think it's all that safe.  I use an editor that understands unix line
ends and gives me a warning when the open file changes, so it cuts down on
the danger, but still.

Also note that we've been having issues (triggered by above events) where
the user (say, "Joe") will check out a module, try and edit it, it fails
informing them that "Joe" is already editing the file.  I'd like to see CVS
perform some kind of check to solve this on checkout.

Similar thing happens if one user is moving back and forth between two
machines with sandboxes on both.  In this instance, I'd like to see Update
work to solve the problem.

We're using:
Server - WinNT 4.0 running CVSNT 1.11.1.3 build 57g
Clients - Win2k running TortoiseCVS 1.2.2
SSPI protocol

  "...she danced danced down the street like a dingledogie, and I shambled
after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because
the only people are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never
yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman
candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see
the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"

   -Jack Kerouac "On the Road"