[cvsnt] Re: Build 69 and Updates with 8k or larger files fail

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Feb 8 22:14:11 GMT 2003

Did as you suggested and on the WinCvs where the update is being done
nothing happens, it just hangs there. If I look at the server in Task
Manager I can see a cvs.exe that is stuck. Clicking the red stop
button brings WinCvs back, but the cvs.exe process is still there on
the server.
And in the repository there is now a file named
#cvs.rfl.antares(bosse).576
that was not there before. I could delete the file, but the process is
still there. So I did this:
C:\Programs\Reskit>kill cvs.exe
process #576 [cvs.exe] killed

Sure enough the cvs.exe that hung is process Id 576...

Next test, do the update from command prompt with the -t flag:

F:\Engineering\Antares\PC\ModuleXX>cvs -t up
  -> Tracelevel set to 1.  PID is 2560
  -> Session ID is a003e457fca3aa5
  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sspi:antares:/pc
? ChangeLog
S -> Checking admin file C:/cvsrepo/pc/CVSROOT/admin for user bosse
cvs server: Updating .
S -> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S -> rename(CVS/Entries.Extra,CVS/Entries.Extra)
S -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)
S -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Extra.Log)
S -> unlink(CVS/,,FourthFile.txt)
S -> checkout (/pc/ModuleXX/FourthFile.txt,v, 1.1, , (function))
S -> unlink(CVS/,,FourthFile.txt)
S -> unlink(CVS/,,FourthFile.txt-1)
S -> unlink(CVS/,,FourthFile.txt-2)
S -> checkout (/pc/ModuleXX/FourthFile.txt,v, 1.2, , (function))

Here it stays forever until I kill the server process:
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)

So it for sure looks like a bug.
When did it appear? (From which cvsnt revision?)

And will increasing the buffer size to 16 times the original size not
just push the file size up by 16 but still leave us with this problem
on large files??

/Bo