[cvsnt] Re: Preserving execute bit for checkout on Linux machines?

Koen Tanghe no at ssppaamm.com
Tue Feb 11 00:35:33 GMT 2003

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:3e47e067.22229687 at news.cvsnt.org...

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:57:06 +0100, "Koen" <no at ssppaamm.com> wrote:
>
> >The problem:
> >I have checked in files from a windows machine, and these files should
have
> >execute permission when checked out on a Linux machine. Now, I tried
making
> >a very small difference and then comitting the file again on a Linux
> >machine, but still the execute permission is not preserved (the commit
> >*does* happen).
> >I read a few things already about problems with execute bit etc.. but
never
> >found a solution.
> >
> You can't really... there is no such thing as an execute permission on
> NT,

OK. I can understand that.

> so if you're editing the file on both it'll tend to get lost.

And if I only edit the files that need execute permission on the Linux
machines?

Is there any other way this could be handled in the future (like keeping
track in the repository which files have execute permissions etc... and only
letting linux clients change these settings)?

Any idea how (or if) people at Sourceforge handle this? They have lots of
projects that run both on Linux and Windows and are using configure and make
files (which should be executable, and which are causing me some trouble).
Koen