[cvsnt] Couldn't connect to named pipe

Aaron agmz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 18:04:26 GMT 2003

Ian,

Thank you for your help.

By the way, I tried to follow the steps listed in the
document provided at:

http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html

The following section seems to imply to use :ntserver:
  It was not clear to me to use :pserver: at this
step.

---

9. Adding CVS users

But if you really must use pserver then:
Open a command window and do the following (replace
items <text> with the real values from your system).
Note: for ntserver the computername cannot be entered
as 'localhost', it must be the real name of the PC.:

set cvsroot=:ntserver:<computername>:/TEST
cvs passwd -a <your NT username>

You will now be asked to enter a password for this
user. If you intend this system to be used both with
ntserver and pserver then add a password for CVS that
is different from the real login password for this
user (security reasons). Enter the same password
twice. Now the CVSROOT/passwd file will be created and
the user you entered will be added to the list in this
file.

This step is necessary even if you are going to only
use the pserver protocol in the future since there is
no way to log in with pserver unless there is a passwd
file present with the user listed.

---

I set the CVSROOT to :pserver: and tried to add
myself.  I am issuing this command on the cvs_server
machine logged in as the Administrator.  aaron is a
valid user.

C:\>cvs passwd -a aaron
cvs [passwd aborted]: connect to
cvs_server(cvs_server):2401 failed: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively
refused it.