[cvsnt] WinXP sspi Admin authentication: Local vs Domain? (SOLVED)

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Feb 19 18:11:15 GMT 2003

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post--Yes, my DOM\gstarrett account
is in the local Administrators group.  I also managed to solve my own
problem, but I'm still uncertain this is the way it is supposed to work (see
QUESTION: below).

I found out what I was doing wrong with specifying the username in the
CVSROOT env var, I had failed to do a cvs login to send the password
(oops!).  Furthermore, I discovered how the admin file actually DOES work (I
had tried it but did it wrong).

FYI:  Specifying alternate NT username with :sspi:
While logged in as DOM\gstarrett,
set cvsroot=:sspi:DOM\gstarrett-admin at glen:\test
cvs login
[password entry]
cvs passwd -a newuserhere
==> Works, but doesn't solve my real problem as described.

SOLUTION:  Adding non-domain admins as CVS administrators
I discovered that the username of the desired administrator should be
included in the admin file in CVSROOT in *each repository*, not in the
repository root.

That is, I have my CVS Repository prefix set to "c:\cvs\cvsrepos".  I had
created "c:\cvs\cvsrepos\CVSROOT\admin" file and added my username to it,
but still wasn't admin in my \test repository.  Once I realized I needed to
create this admin file as "c:\cvs\cvsrepos\test\CVSROOT\admin", everything
started working properly.

QUESTION:
=========
I would have thought the admin file would have been for site-wide admin list
(that's why I put it in the c:\cvs\cvsrepos\CVSROOT directory to start).
Was it intended to only work for one repository at a time?

Note to self:  RTFM *closer*, or in this case, Read The Fine Readme closer.

All in all, this is a VERY functional integrated CVS system.  I'm still
going to need to experiment with it to see how permissions get applied and
the level of integration with the chown / chacl / etc. commands relative
NTFS file permissions, but it's looking very nice indeed.  If I get time,
I'll try to write up a "NT Integrated" focused version of the setup guide,
since that is the main reason why I am looking at CVSNT.

Thanks,

Glen Starrett