[cvsnt] binary file question - also postcommit

Paul Russell paul_newsgroups at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 21 00:04:33 GMT 2003

My binary archives in CVSNT (cvsnt-1.11.1.3-66.exe) work fine, especially with TortoiseCVS (TortoiseCVS-1-2-2.exe) and latest ViewCVS (viewcvs-1.0.dev-win-r3.zip).

I can use my binary libaries, object files, and executables committed and retrieved from CVS by TortoiseCVS. I can even Open Excel and Word files with ViewCVS - even older revisions. I set my IDE - PeggyPro - to use the command like cvs.exe from TortoiseCVS - and it works fine as well.(http://www2.noritz.co.jp/anchor/ashp/peggy_enu/pegindex.html)

You might want to try using a different client to commit and retrieve a binary file to see whether the problem is with CVSNT or WinCVS. Use the command line cvs.exe to do your basic actions, or try TortoiseCVS - its ridiculously simple to setup on the client. If this works, then check whether the already committed binaries retrieve OK, or were they corrupted when committed.

If that fails - get a new CVSNT build. Build 57a is pretty old - there's been numerous fixes since then.

I have set up our CVS Server to use CVSROOT\postcommit to run a batch file which Checks out and/or Updates a read-only CVS Image elsewhere on the server. You can then periodically check that the project files in this image folder are not corrupted. The Image is shared, and is thus also useful for allowing other people to quickly check files in the repo without having to fetch them, or allowing non-cvs users to view the files (especially documentation, html pages, or hex loads for the production line). I redirect the output of cvs.exe to append to a log file, so it's also very easy to see which files have been recently updated.

-Paul

 Mike Stewart <mstewart at mail.lifelearn.com> wrote: I am happily running cvsnt (1.11.1.3 (Build 57a) ) on Win2K

The text file functions have been great and it has already saved my butt a
bunch of times.

I tried to retrieve previous revision of a binary file and it comes back as
garbage. The byte count is bigger by 382 bytes. It's a jpg file and every
submission has the -kb option on it (wincvs thinks it's binary as it was
told).

I checked this on all my binary files (.doc, .gif, .jpg, etc.) and they are
all munched (I didn't check if the byte difference was consistent I suspect
not from a brief look).

How do I keep useful previous revisions of binary files using CVS or do I?

I've read about locking and unlocking binaries but the documentation isn't
clear and I don't understand why/how the file locking thing works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mike stewart