[cvsnt] binary file question

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Feb 21 06:39:22 GMT 2003

Did you by any chance use the graph function of WinCvs to select the
revision you want to retrieve? There is a right-click menu that gives
you the impression that you can retrieve a revision from there.
BUT this function actually does exactly what you describe, it destroys
the retrieved binary file! Can only be used on text files....

Look at the file with a hex editor, my guess is that you will see the
version info in cleartext embedded in the file.

No, the only way to properly retrieve an old revision of a binary file
is by using update and specify a revision there.
We store lots of binaries and have done so several years with no
problems whatever except from the graph pop-up menu.
Our executables are also in CVS and our release is done from CVS files
including exe, pdf, help, jpg etc. No probs.

Bo

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:39:39 -0500, Mike Stewart
<mstewart at mail.lifelearn.com> wrote:

>I am happily running cvsnt (1.11.1.3  (Build 57a) ) on Win2K
>
>The text file functions have been great and it has already saved my butt a
>bunch of times.
>
>I tried to retrieve previous revision of a binary file and it comes back as
>garbage.  The byte count is bigger by 382 bytes.  It's a jpg file and every
>submission has the -kb option on it (wincvs thinks it's binary as it was
>told).
>
>I checked this on all my binary files (.doc, .gif, .jpg, etc.) and they are
>all munched (I didn't check if the byte difference was consistent I suspect
>not from a brief look).
>
>How do I keep useful previous revisions of binary files using CVS or do I?
>
>I've read about locking and unlocking binaries but the documentation isn't
>clear and I don't understand why/how the file locking thing works.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>mike stewart

/Bo