[cvsnt] OT: Which VS6 files to store in CVS?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Feb 27 22:58:19 GMT 2003

I know this is really Off Topic, but I guess that there are a whole
bunch of C++ programmers here familiar with MS VS6 so...

I am normally programming in Delphi or sometimes VB, never C or C++...
Now I have inherited 4 DLL projects that are done using MS C 1.5 (16
bit) and I have used MS C++ 4 to port the projects to 32 bit. In the
process I have encountered some difficulties (see below) but now they
are at least compatible with VS6 and I must put them into our CVSNT
server.
But I don't know which files should go there in the sense that I don't
know which files are rebuilt by VS6 from the other files.
Can someone familiar with VS6 please advice which files apart from the
*.C and *.H sourcefiles and the *.MAK file should be version
controlled?

And while I am asking:
The projects are linked into two pairs because two DLL:s use the other
2 DLL:s as low level drivers so they use the exported functions. I am
wondering how to properly declare the import into the "master" DLL
source of the exported functions from the support DLL:s.
Specifically I would like to know where the support DLL file name is
given. I have not found any good spot to enter this info yet in the
VS6 IDE and the project does not link (unresolved external reference)
until I explicitly add the *.lib file of the support DLL to the
*source* file list of the main DLL.
In Delphi it works differently, there the definition of the external
call also specifies the name of the library file (= the dll file).

Any help greatly appreciated!

I hope I don't have to do some modification to the functionality of
these DLL:s. (In that case I might as well port them to Delphi....).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)