[cvsnt] Re: How to edit administrativ files?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jan 4 20:19:36 GMT 2003

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 18:58:06 +0100, Marcus Fuchs <Marcus_news at web.de>
wrote:

>First of all I want to wish you a happy new Year.
>
>I've installed CVSNT with the help of Bo's Installation Tips. But now I
>want to modify the passwd, admin and config. Therefore I've done the
>following steps:
>
>set cvsroot=:sspi:fuchs:/testrep
>cd sandbox
>cvs co cvsroot
This should have been:
cvs co CVSROOT
Note the case, CVS is case sensitive and it shows especially for the
administrative files.

>cd cvsroot
>edit passwd
Did you really receive this file as part of the checkout? It should
not have been included (explained below).

>edit admin
Same as above, shouldn't have been included.

>edit config
>cvs add passwd
Aha! You have created passwd new!

>cvs add admin
Same here! Not good!
>cvs ci
>
>To passwd and admin I've only added "Administrator", to limit the
>CVS-access to the given Account and also to give it administrativ right
>to the CVS-server.
>
>In config I've set SystemAuth=no so that CVS will use the above changes.
>
>After doing the above steps I can't get access to the server, auth as
>Administrator (and of course with no other account).
>
>To solve this problem I've directly watched into the repository and
>noticed that passwd and admin weren't added but passwd,v and admin,v.
>
>And now my question: Do I have to modify thies files on the server,
>just
>without the use of CVS? Or, what do I have to do? Did I missed
>something?

Yes, the admin and passwd files are *NOT* part of the files that are
checked out and committed back and then rebuilt on the server.
For security reasons they *must* be manipulated directly on the server
itself.
For the admin file you must manage it directly on the server.
But the passwd file is managed via the cvs passwd command from a
client.
If you are a CVS admin then you can use cvs passwd to add/remove users
and moduífy their passwords. There is a passage in my install
instructions covering this.

So now do the following:
1) Delete the admin,v and passwd,v files in the repository
2) Create an admin file directly in the repository and add the logins
that will be allowed to administer the CVS server
3) From a client issue the cvs passwd command with the proper switches
to add/remove users and set/change passwords

To manage config over a checked out copy is OK. But beware of case
sensitivity for the module.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)