[cvsnt] Rename of a module

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Jan 7 15:24:44 GMT 2003

I have moved modules arund before and depending on your usage it can be done simply
or more complicated...
Here is a suggestion for the steps to take:
1) Make sure all developers have checked in their last changes to the module.
2) Make sure they have erased their working copies of the source (the sandboxes)
3) Shut down the CVSNT service on the server so you are not interfering with any
   cvs operations for the next steps.
4) Now you can rename the top module folder in the repository to the new name.
5) But since you are going to reuse the module name for another project (not realy advisable)
   you also have to handle the CVSROOT/history file. So open this file in an editor.
6) Replace all occurrences of the old module name with the new name and save the history file
7) Create a new empty folder with the old module name (since you were going to reuse the name)
8) Start the CVSNT service again
9) On the client side do a new checkout of the renamed module and verify that you get the complete
   file set of the old module.
10) Also check the history command on the new sandbox and make sure that the info display looks sensible.
11) Check out the old module name and supply the flag to create empty directories.
12) verify that you get a single empty directyory.
13) Add a file to this directory, cvs add it and commit to make sure all works now.

I think that this will cover the whole process.

If you don't care about the history information then you can instead delete all lines in the history
file where the old module name is mentioned.
If you don't care about the history AND you decide not to reuse the old name then you can leave the
history file alone.

I think this covers most of the move.

Bo