[cvsnt] Weird release message

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jan 15 18:35:11 GMT 2003

>I'm in the process of switching my team's source control from SourceSafe to
>CVS (using CVSNT).  Everything has gone great, but there's been one little
>issue that's bugged me.  When I invoke "cvs release -d somedir" on a
>directory where I know all my changes have been committed, I get the message
>"You have [1] altered files in this repository."  If I abort the release,
>switch to somedir, and run "cvs -q -n update", CVS doesn't find any altered
>files.  After some more experimentation, I found that "cvs release -d" would
>always report one altered file, no matter how many files had actually been
>altered.
>
>Have I missed something somewhere?  When accessing the repository from
>Solaris (client version 1-11-1p1), it seems to report the correct number of
>altered files.  This is a small issue, everything else seems to work fine.
>But it's bugging me, and possibly I've missed something.

The file count is basically a count of files where the datestamp is
different to the checked out file.  It does as much as it can without
contacting the server (the older cvs used to try to do a cvs -n -q and
then trap the output, which hardly ever worked).

If you do a 'cvs update' it'll reset the date stamps and the count
will go back to zero, probably.  Other than that, it's harmless.