[cvsnt] Win32 performance

Martin Rothbaum martin.rothbaum at nzqa.govt.nz
Fri Jan 17 00:49:30 GMT 2003

Firstly, please note that it is not my intention to criticise CVSNT, nor
to start a religious debate - I simply have a problem that I need to
solve and would appreciate the group's assistance.

I'm having trouble getting the performance our developers require out
of our installation of CVSNT, and my testing has shown it to be
considerably slower for comprable hardware than CVS on other platforms.
I have tested CVSNT 1.11.1.3 on Windows 2000 (some Advanced Server, some
Professional) with various hardware against CVS 1.11 on Linux and
Solaris.  Testing was against a module containing 700 files in 170
directories, the vast majority of which are Java and related source
files. The test I chose was a repeated update from WinCVS 1.3.10.1 Beta
10 Build 1 on a stable source tree (ie: no actual updates resulted).

Here are the results I got (there are several runs for some
configurations):

Hardware                Time        CVS version                  OS
                        (min:sec)
PIII 1.1GHz, 1Gb        3:38        CVSNT 1.11.1.3 Build 57i     Win2k
AS
(current server)        3:30

P4 1.4GHz, 512Mb        1:35        CVSNT 1.11.1.3 Build 57i     Win2k
Prof
                        1:04
                        1:02        CVSNT 1.11.1.3 Build 65

P4 2.4GHz, 512Mb        0:22        CVSNT 1.11.1.3 Build 65      Win2k
Prof
                        0:21

PIII 0.8GHz, 512Mb      0:18        CVS 1.11                     Linux
2.4.2-2 (Redhat)

Sun E250, dual 400MHz   0:03        CVS 1.11 			 Solaris
8

Comparing the PIII's running Win2k (1.1GHz) and Linux (0.8GHz) would
suggest the Linux version is an order of magnitude faster for given
hardware.  Are these results typical?  Is there anything we can do to
improve performance on Win2k?  Obviously we could move the service to a
faster server, but this would either cost money or cause operational
difficulties.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards
Martin

--
Martin Rothbaum
Solutions Architect
martin.rothbaum at nzqa.govt.nz
Phone (04) 802 3092
Mobile (021) 181 5364

This email may contain legally privileged information and is intended only for the addressee. It is not necessarily the official view or
communication of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or
information in it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately. NZQA does not accept any liability for changes made to this email or attachments after sending by NZQA.

All emails have been scanned for viruses and content by MailMarshal.
NZQA reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its network.