[cvsnt] Re: [ViewCVS] Re: [ViewCVS/cvsnt] ViewCvs problem with CVSNT build68

Terry.Ninnis at Pgen.com Terry.Ninnis at Pgen.com
Thu Jan 23 10:43:51 GMT 2003

Paul,
I have only just started using Build 65 and have also had the problem.

It appears that the STDERR output from rlog is the cause of the problem and I
have fixed my installation by doing the following:

In the file popen.py:
Change the line:
def popen(cmd, args, mode, capture_err=1):
to read:
def popen(cmd, args, mode, capture_err):

In the file viewcvs.py:
Change all the calls to popen.popen to have an additional parameter set to 1
except for the rlog call which is set to 0.
e.g
Change the line:
  rlog =
popen.popen(os.path.normpath(os.path.join(cfg.general.rcs_path,'rlog')), chunk,
'rt')
to read:
  rlog =
popen.popen(os.path.normpath(os.path.join(cfg.general.rcs_path,'rlog')), chunk,
'rt', 0)

But change:
  fp = popen.popen(os.path.join(cfg.general.rcs_path, 'co'), (rev_flag,
full_name), 'rb')
to read:
  fp = popen.popen(os.path.join(cfg.general.rcs_path, 'co'), (rev_flag,
full_name), 'rb',1)

This then ignores the STDERR stuff from rlog and everything then works. However,
 if rlog returns anything else on STDERR then you wont know about it.

In the end, the code needs to cater for the errors and not just ignore it but
this solution is OK for me.

Regards

Terry Ninnis

Paul Russell <paul_newsgroups at yahoo.ca> on 01/23/2003 03:58:09 AM

cc:

Subject:  [ViewCVS] Re: [ViewCVS/cvsnt] ViewCvs problem with CVSNT build68

See my previous post, subject "CVSNT Build 63~66 with ViewCVS and Diff"
 Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:I switched from CVSNT 1.11.1.3 b57j
to Daily 68 today.
I committed a test file just fine, except that now ViewCvs won't touch this
file.
If I click a file that I have not yet committed changes to all is well and
the file displays and I can diff it etc. But if I do the same on this newly
committed file ViewCvs throws an error and displays this:

Exception
Python Messages:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\programs\viewcvs\lib/viewcvs.py", line 2710, in main
view_log(request)
File "c:\programs\viewcvs\lib/viewcvs.py", line 1774, in view_log
show_revs, rev_map, rev_order, taginfo, rev2tag, \
File "c:\programs\viewcvs\lib/viewcvs.py", line 1534, in read_log
idx = string.rfind(head, '.')
File "C:\Programs\Python22\lib\string.py", line 187, in rfind
return s.rfind(*args)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rfind'

I looked into the RCS file and there was new stuff in each revision
description, three new lines like these:
permissions 666;
commitid 1ec3e2f12c87eee;
kopt kv;

If I remove them ViewCvs starts working again.

Is there anyone with any ideas on why it happened and how to solve this?
Is it only present in the CVSNT Daily Snapshot or is this something
permanent?
Is there a viewcvs.py fix that covers this problem?

Bo Berglund

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc,  53 New Broad Street, London, EC2M 1SL
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432