[cvsnt] Re: Getting Started

Rick M. rgmtech at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 19:42:06 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>If you're using something like ntserver or sspi then
the OS
>takes care of the user authentication, and you don't
have to
>worry about users & passwords. This is the simplest
setup, and
>is recommended (sspi is recommended over ntserver,
but it's
>still available for old clients to connect if
required).
>pserver will also attempt to authenticate this way if
there's
>no passwd file, but as it sends its passwords in an
insecure
>manner it's not a good idea use it this way when
going over a
>public network.

Does this mean that, when using the sspi protocol,
that each cvs username *must* be a valid system
username (domain or local)?

I am attempting to setup cvsnt on a machine running
win2k server.  All clients will be on windows machines
- some on my LAN and some over the internet.  I have
setup the passwd file so that cvs usernames are
aliased to valid domain users, however, I am getting
authentication errors when attempting to connect via
the sspi protocol.  When I change to pserver it works
but, from what I'm reading, this is not desirable for
connections over the internet.  Thus far, I am only
having success with the sspi protocol when I use a
valid system username.

Will I need to setup all of my cvs users with system
accounts?

Thanks for any help!

Rick M.