[cvsnt] cvs [passwd aborted]: Couldn't connect to named pipe on remote ma chine: Error 2

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jul 1 22:47:13 BST 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:42:37 -0400, Nishant Varma <NiVarma at dharbor.com>
wrote:

>I have a CVSNT server running on my local machine. The NT user on my local
>machine added as a user on this server.
I assume this worked OK?

>I am trying to add another user on the same network domain to the list of
>users on this CVSNT server. I referred the installation instruction guide
>number 9 and did as instructed.
The installation instructions are *not* written for domains, they were
written to instruct people who had problems on their stand-alone NT4
machines...
In any case the CVS server PC must be a domain computer if you want to
add domain users.

>I get the error listed on the subject.
>
>I was looking through the archive and found a similar issue. The answer to
>the issue was the following:
>"On the client machine open up a drive mapping to the server machine
>(not the disk where the repository is using).
>Then retry the cvs command.
>
>I did the same. On the client machine opened the drive mapping to the CVSNT
>server machine to an arbitrary shared folder.
>
>Then opened command prompt on the CVSNT server machine (which happens to be
>my local machine) and gave following commands:
>
>set cvsroot=:ntserver:<client machine name>:/test .
>cvs passwd -a -r mmarkus  -D <domain name> markus

>I get the given error.
The whole issue about the named pipe is from the client to the server,
this means that the client is the machine on which you are typing in
your cvs commands. In your example you open up a drive mapping from
what you say is the client machine, then you go back to the server
macine and enter the cvs command again. Your action has changed
nothing on the machine where you type the cvs commands! The fact that
another machine has a drive mapping open on this machine does not
affect your logged in session on that machine one bit....

It may well be that the named pipe connection mentioned is towards the
domain controller for verification of the domain account you are
trying to add and since there is no trust between the machines it
fails.

>Please help. Also is there a CVSNT administrator UI which I can use??

No there are only the command prompt and the CVSNT control panel
applet.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)