[cvsnt] Error reading from server cvs.sourceforge.net: 0

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Jul 3 08:21:55 BST 2003

> When trying to run an cvs update on sourceforge projects, I get following
> errors in 95% of the cases:
>
> cvs [update aborted]: Error reading from server cvs.sourceforge.net: -1
> cvs [update aborted]: Error reading from server cvs.sourceforge.net: 0
>
> Is this a known problem with the sourceforge's cvs server?

Yes, it is for :pserver: connections. SSH access works 100% though. Also
note that updates retrieved via :pserver: might lag behind the real thing up
to 24 hours at worst. As I understood it the repository for :pserver: access
is actually on a different machine and only sync'ed up with the development
repository once or twice a day.

Their declared top priority is developer access (i.e. people who need to
check stuff _in_). There is a piece about this somewhere in their news
section. As I understood it they're working on it but it's not very high on
the list.

I also find this very annoying but I can also understand the reasoning. I'm
currently using a "brute force" batch file to update my :pserver: sandboxes
which will repeat the operation at reasonable intervals until successful.

Cheers,

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ: 18777742