[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Jul 15 14:47:55 BST 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> There'll always be a place for CVS....  I see no reason why both
> projects can't coexist.  I can't use subversion because it requires
> Apache & we're an IIS shop here, and I expect there are lots of people
> in that position.

Actually, you don't have to use Apache unless you want WebDAV access (and then
you can run Apache on another port just for Subversion).  The model handles
multiple transport methods; currently only local file, DAV, or a custom svn
protocol exist.  But, I suspect that when the database backends are available,
they will use the native database transport method.  It would even be fairly
trivial to wrap SSPI around the svn protocol (it currently understands ssh
encapsulation).

Their idea, and I think that it is a viable one, is that the majority of
mindshare will move to Subversion away from CVS, because it has _so_ many
advantages.  I don't want to minimize the effort you have spent making WinCVS a
very fine solution.  However, you are still limited by the RCS file format, so
there is only so far that you can push the model.  A complete refactoring has
many advantages.

John