[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Ori Berger cvsnt-newsgroups at orib.net
Tue Jul 15 19:42:13 BST 2003

John Peacock wrote:

> Their idea, and I think that it is a viable one, is that the majority of
> mindshare will move to Subversion away from CVS, because it has _so_
> many advantages.  I don't want to minimize the effort you have spent
> making WinCVS a very fine solution.  However, you are still limited by
> the RCS file format, so there is only so far that you can push the
> model.  A complete refactoring has many advantages.

I don't think SVN will gain much ground. It doesn't offer enough
practical advantages over CVS to be worth the transition effort. And
the amount of tools available for CVS is not easily reproducible.

What will, eventually, be widespread (I think) is one of the newer
version control systems - Monotone, darcs, Arch - which provide
distributed / replicated repositories, non dag-ish merging and
cryptographic assertions. Perhaps one with these features that was
not yet written. But CVS will probably still have its place even
then thanks to being ubiquitous.

SVN IMHO solves some real problems and many non problems with CVS.
The only showstopper for me in the past had been lack of distributed
(or at the very least, replicated) repositories, and even that was
on one project.