[OT] Re: [cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Jul 15 20:19:32 BST 2003

This is verging on off topic for this forum, so I am happy to take it elsewhere
if people want.

Ori Berger wrote:

> I don't think SVN will gain much ground. It doesn't offer enough
> practical advantages over CVS to be worth the transition effort. And the
> amount of tools available for CVS is not easily reproducible.

You evidently have never tried Subversion and/or do not deal with large
projects.  I have quickly moved my Perl core patch work into Subversion for one
reason alone: tags are cheap copies and merging is almost effortless.  I can
quickly create a branch, switch my working copy over, try out some changes,
generate a patch file, then delete the branch.  This is painfully slow in CVS,
with only {!} 4150 files to tag.  It is very fast in Subversion and I would
never want to go back.

And as far as tools goes, by the time Subversion goes gold, there will be a
multitude of tools available (most are already well along):

TortoiseSVN - just like TortoiseCVS
RapidSVN - cross-platform GUI
Subway - SCC plugin for Subversion
Ankhsvn - integrate Subversion into .NET IDE
ViewCVS - full support for Subversion in HEAD branch code
cvs2svn - convert existing CVS repositories to Subversion with intelligent
branch support, etc.
VCP::Dest::svn - similar to cvs2svn but supports incremental conversion

It is also much easier in Subversion to do a lot of server-based management
things (like pre/postcommit triggers).

John