[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jul 16 18:11:21 BST 2003

> There's no requirement to tag before branching.  Mergepoint
> processing did
> away with the problem of merging changes twice months ago -

Oops.  I'm reading outdated materials, or I may have just misstated my
issue.  Take a look at:

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsChapter69

It describes how you need to tag when you merge to the trunk so when you
merge again, you don't duplicate the same changes again.  Where can I find
out what mergepoint branching is and how it affects the reference in the
link above?

Also, vigorous tagging was a recommendation here (I know, this is in
reference to CVS):
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Multiple_Merges
"A better way, if you plan ahead, is to tag the branch after each bug fix
...."

Does BranchPoint merging affect this at all?

What I was thinking of when I wrote my earlier note was that ClearCase, for
example, maintains "merge records" when you do a merge, so it automatically
remembers the previous place where changes were merged back to the trunk or
another branch then does the "proper" merge next time without having to
specify a previous merge tag|date|version.

Best Regards,

Glen Starrett

P.S.  I did try searching:  There is only 2 references to "mergepoint" in
the wiki--one in the change log saying "27/01/03: Release 68: ... Mergepoint
processing." and the other mentioning that it Mergepoint information is
stored in the Entries.Extra file, but nothing saying what it does.  Google
didn't seem to pick up much discussion of it from the CVSNT archives, which
seems odd.
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2002-March/001148.html