[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Starrett, Glen (AZ15) glen.starrett at honeywell.com
Fri Jul 18 23:01:52 BST 2003

> What exactly needs to be added to the Revision Graph feature to support
this?

I'm thinking that on the an arrow from one version block to another,
indicating a merge done.  Example log output:

revision 1.5
date: 2003/07/18 21:33:01; author: gstarrett; state: Exp; lines: +2 -0;
kopt: kv; commitid: 21c3f18678b0000; mergepoint: 1.1.2.3;
Merged in change 3 from R1-fix
<<<

So then the block 1.1.2.3 would show an arrow pointing to block 1.5 based on
that entry.  That way the user knows it was merged at a certain point, and
that was the revision that it merged into.  If you're doing a lot of merging
then I could see this getting very busy -- but useful to know (e.g. "Did I
merge that in?  when?  Did I update from HEAD first or just merge branch
into HEAD?").

FYI, I did some experimenting with mergepoint branching and it seems to be
VERY easy to handle, much better than the tag-branch-merge-tag-merge-tag
thing.  In a nutshell, CVSNT remembers the revision number that you merged
from and uses that when it merges again.  I didn't try it with multiple
branches merging around, but for one branch merging to and from HEAD is
seamless with branchpoint merging.

Regards,

Glen Starrett