[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoint question

Kevin zzz at zzz.zzz.org
Thu Jul 24 07:26:47 BST 2003

"Starrett, Glen (AZ15)" <glen.starrett at honeywell.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.106.1058975080.469.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> The better (or at least more detailed) steps of your scenario is:
>
> -- One users merges 1st of 2 branches
> -- When conflicts are resolved (if any), commit
> -- Same user merges 2nd of 2 branches
> -- When conflicts are resolved (if any), commit
> -- When a different user merges the branches, CVSNT sees the mergepoint
> entries in the log and merges correctly.

Just to make thing clear, this is what I meant:
- one user merges 1st of 2 branches and commits (after resolving any
conflicts)
- other developers update/develop/commit their changes on the branch they
are working on (hence both branches get newer revisions checked in)
- when a second user merges the 1st of the 2 branches a second time to
synchronize the branches again he will get the
conflicts of the first merge too (*** this will happen as the mergepoints
are committed in the first step --- see below ***)

>> Or is the mergepoint committed to the repository too?
> Yes, mergepoints are saved in the sandbox until committed and then to the
> server log once committed.

The scenario I was creating shall work fine as long as the mergepoints are
committed along with the merge.

Thanks for the reply, mergepoints are becoming clearer now and hopefully I
shall be making more use of them.

--
Kevin Agius