[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoint question

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Thu Jul 24 11:40:10 BST 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:25:11 +0200, "Kevin" <zzz at zzz.zzz.org> wrote:

>"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at removethis.system3r.se> wrote in message
>news:3f18f417.62843363 at news.cvsnt.org...
>> So instead I have made
>> some manual adjustments and committed this (basically just replacing
>> the HEAD code with the tip of the branch without merging anything).
>
>Can you give us some more details or a link about what is this and how to do
>it?
>
>--
>Kevin Agius
>HOB Software Ltd. (Malta)

Very simple, I just had two checked out copies of the project. One on
HEAD and one on the branch tip.
Then I copied all of the source files from the branch to the HEAD
sandbox overwriting whatever was there before.
Then I issued a cvs status command in the HEAD sandbox so cvs could
figure out which files had actually changed (the timestamps were
different so they all looked changed).
Then I commutted what was left as changed files.
Of course before all of this I put a tag in both TRUNK and Branch so I
could restore the situation if something went bad.
I had to do a followup action too, I had to add the files that were
now in the sandbox but not marked as being under version control.
These had been added on the branch.
There probably is a simple cvs command that does all of this
automatically (promoting the tip of the branch to become the new HEAD
revision), but I don't know this.

/Bo Berglund