[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoint question

Phil Richards news at derived-software.ltd.uk
Fri Jul 25 08:07:24 BST 2003

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:25:11 +0200, "Kevin" <zzz at zzz.zzz.org> wrote:
> >"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at removethis.system3r.se> wrote in message
> >news:3f18f417.62843363 at news.cvsnt.org...
> >> So instead I have made
> >> some manual adjustments and committed this (basically just replacing
> >> the HEAD code with the tip of the branch without merging anything).
> >Can you give us some more details or a link about what is this and how to do
> >it?
[...]
> There probably is a simple cvs command that does all of this
> automatically (promoting the tip of the branch to become the new HEAD
> revision), but I don't know this.

The way I do it is:

Flip the sandbox over to the mainline (reset sticky tags etc).

cvs -q update -P -d -jHEAD -jTheBranchName

(I have to apologise - normally I'm doing this through WinCvs
so I *might* have got it slightly wrong :-))

The principle is, however, that the delta you want to apply
to HEAD is precisely the difference between HEAD and TheBranchName.

This will handle file creation and deletion on the branch - we use
this approach all the time in our development process and it appears
to work without error.

Oh, it is normally a good idea to do:

cvs -q update

immediately afterwards - this clears up any files that have been
modified on the branch and are exactly the same as the one on the
mainline.  This happens a lot with what we do: the last stage
on the branch is to merge the mainline to the branch and rerun all
the unit tests after having sorted out the merge conflists

phil
--
Change "spam"/"news" to "phil" to email me directly.