[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoint question

Starrett, Glen (AZ15) glen.starrett at honeywell.com
Fri Jul 25 18:50:13 BST 2003

Correct - what I'm talking about is the messier situation of handling
mainline-to-branch merges followed by a branch-to-mainline merge
(possibly repeated multiple times), and making it so you only ever
have to use the single (appropriate) "-j" form for update.
<<<<

FWICT, CVSNT handles that rather handsomely.  I did some experimentation
with the branchpoint merging on a small module with several sandboxes
(checked out HEAD and branches) and was able to merge branch -> HEAD, HEAD
-> branch, multiple times, back and forth with no trouble at all.  Test it
out for yourself if you like, but here is a log from the file I was
"playing" with.

You'll notice the "mergepoint" fields in all records where I did a merge,
and the mergepoint record always contains the "from" version that was merged
in (the record already has the "old" and "new" of the file being merged).

Glen Starrett