[cvsnt] RE: Linux compile error: Is this a Solution or SNAFU?

Starrett, Glen (AZ15) glen.starrett at honeywell.com
Mon Jul 28 07:33:55 BST 2003

	I took a wild guess (after downloading gCVS and making it and still
not finding the needed file) and went into the cvsnt-2.0.8/cvsgui and did a
make there directly--that produced the library file cvsgui.a for me, then I
backed out to cvsnt-2.0.8/ and ran make again and it worked without error.
<<<<

That seems to have done the trick.  I'd like to put together a bare-bones
"Linux install how-to" since it's been mentioned a couple of times lately
(and I could have used it...) but I lack the knowledge on some of the
specifics.  Here are some questions:

--When I commit in Linux, the committed file has my personal name and
primary group (gstarret / gstarret) not the uname / group of the folder like
in WinNT, like "cvs / cvs".  Do I need to use some sort of postcommit script
to get it to change to CVS / CVS??

--I'm assuming the information in my original represented a minor bug in the
MAKE script.  To that end, what am I missing from a step-by-step below?

--Any difference from "old" CVS to watch out for?

CVSNT on Linux installation how-to
=============
Written from installation based on RedHat 8.

--Download the source.  Extract.

--Make sure you uninstall any other CVS you may have installed, e.g.
assuming it was installed from an RPM:
	rpm -e cvs

--in cvsnt-x.y.z run:
	./configure
	make
	make install

--> NOTE:  In CVSNT 2.0.8 and some earlier versions require that after you
run ./configure you do the following to make the cvsgui libraries, then go
on to make the whole cvsnt and install it normally:
	cd cvsgui
	make
	cd ..

--Copy /etc/cvsnt/PServer.example to /etc/cvsnt/PServer and customize it
	In Repository section, uncomment and revise to your actual path
where you want to store the repository.

--Check /etc/xinetd.d/cvs for correctness.  Note especially the "server" and
"server_args".  Wrong information here will result in "connection actively
refused" when trying to authenticate.

	service cvspserver
	{
	        disable        	        socket_type    	        wait           	        user           	        group          	        log_type       	        env            	        server         	        server_args    	}

--Test ... {do a cvs version, etc. etc.}

Did I miss anything?  Setting up initial accounts, etc.?  This wasn't a
fresh install for me (I had a previous attempt at cvsnt install and already
had cvs running), so it is likely missing some steps.

Regards,

Glen Starrett